Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Is It Only Wednesday?

Ok, well here I am sitting in probably what I can say the coolest hospital room ever. I'll post pictures later. It's about 7am and Mom is having surgery as I type. I'll just write the highlights of this past weekend and first part of the week.

Pause: I'm also watching Katie Couric's last Today's show...

Ok, where was I...Friday:

It seems like a month ago that I went up to Norman to see Jason! I got there just a couple of minutes before Jason did. He had a busy day and night. He is now officially the voice of Norman High School. That entails announcing the names of the graduating seniors across the stage. All 400 and something...! When Jason arrived he freshened up and then we went to Coaches's where many of the faculty got together for celebratory end of the year thing. Jason got many compliments on his performance and I got to meet many of his coworkers. It was fun.

Saturday we got up early and headed to Fayetteville. I love the drive on I540. It's beautiful. Unfortunately Jason insides were acting up a little so he had to concentrate on driving and getting there instead of enjoying the scenery. We had lunch with Mom and then went grocery shopping while Jason took a nap. About 4ish Drew, Mandy and the girls arrived. They were soooo cute in their Hawaiian outfits that I got them last October!!! Pictures later. The whole other crew came about 5pm for a cookout for Drewser's 26th birthday...so old!! After that shindig, Jason and I went to see X-Men 3, which was good but a little less than what I was expecting. There were a lot of new characters and some old characters that departed... What happened to Nightcrawler? He's so cool!

The next morning we got up and went to church with Mom and then went to Denny's for breakfast/lunch. Then went to gas up, see Dad and get back on the road again to Norman. We headed straight to his friend's house for a cookout. It was good to meet his friends I've been hearing and reading about. Good luck with the government Eric! HA! Later that night Jason and I just hung out and watched a little NASCAR...

Monday Jason drove me to the airport so I could get to New Orleans for Mom's surgery. I thought he would just drop me off, but nooooo, he parked and walked me in, checked my luggage and hung around the security gate until I disappeared around the corner. I've been nervous about Mom's surgery and Jason could tell, so he cheered me up and made me laugh. Such a sweet guy!

51 minutes into the surgery...

Ok so I got to NO with no problem and caught a ride on the shuttle to the Bienville House in the French Quarter. I've been to NO several times but this is Mom's first so I sorta showed her around. Monday night we strolled the Quarter and found a place to eat. The Red Fish Grill. It was good, yum. I had fish. Mom brought her laptop, which this blog is being typed on and has a DVD player, so I brought some movies and we watched Pride and Prejudice then went to bed.

Tuesday morning we got up, went to Cafe du Mond for some beingets. We also went to St. Louis Cathedral, which is beautiful. Headed back to the hotel and rested, ate lunch and waited for our driver. That's right our own driver. The Center, where all of Mom's arrangements have been made, has a limo service that picks up patients for their appointments and the day of the surgery. Everything. It's great. No worries...this has probably been the most worry free experience I have had logistics wise... So we met with the surgeon doing the mastectomy at Omega Hospital and then went to the Center on St. Charles and met with the plastic surgeon doing the reconstruction who marked her up with a permanent marker. After that we went back to the hotel and trekked out to Bourbon St. We wanted to go to Preservation Hall but it was closed. Even though the French Quarter is open for business, there are a lot of places still closed and needing employees. Fortunately Bourbon House Seafood restaurant was open and we had a good meal. I had fish. So, then we went back to the hotel and turned in a little earlier because we had to get up at 3:45am to be picked up at 4:30 to make it to the hospital at 5am. We've been admitted and Mom's now been in surgery for 70 minutes. I will update ya'll probably tomorrow. I'm gonna get some sleep cause that's all I can do right about now.

Later taters...love,
Jessi

No comments: