Monday, May 08, 2006

Adrenilne Rush and the Aftermath

Well someone told me that if I washed my car, it was bound to rain this weekend. Well it did. Not only did it rain, it poured and hailed and scattered debris all over Waco. Friday night, I'm home alone just chillin' watchin' a movie and the credits roll. Then I hear the tornado sirens go off and I thought to myself, "maybe I should check the TV to see what's going on." Sure enough when I turned it on ABC the first thing I see is DUCK. get Downstairs. (Well that's not happening cause I live on the second floor of an apartment building). get Under something like a mattress. take Cover and I totally don't know what K stood for cause I went over to the sliding glass doors to see what I could see and at that point I saw the pool chairs fly across the pool area. The rain started coming down sideways and then the lights started to flicker. (I didn't like that at all). This is about the time I heard glass break somewhere outside. I thought to myself, "I have a bad feeling about this," and then I went into high panic mode. Running around like a crazy person, I found my flashlight and got matches for candles in the bathroom. Grabbed my iPod, radio, socks and tennis shoes, Bible, purse and comforters and shut my bedroom door. Didn't want glass coming through the bedroom and then into the bathroom. I also made some ice tea and filled another pitcher full of water and stuck it in the freezer (at the time there was no electricity). I had no idea if the pipes would be effected. Then the hail came. That was scary too, slamming into the roof and onto my balcony. It's amazing the effect pea-sized hail can have on your psyche. So for about an hour I was running back and forth from my kitchen to the bathroom, hovering in the hall and watching the weather outside all the while decked out in my comforter. It was scary but exciting at the same time.

About 2am it was just raining and I figured it was pretty much over so I crawled into bed (no covers cause there was no AC). I woke up around 5:20 and saw the electricty was on so I turned off all the lights and got back into bed but set my phone alarm for 8am so I could see what happened.

I went outside in my PJs and a jacket to check my car and it was unscathed. There was debris everywhere. I decided to call some friends to see how they fared but nothing was coming in or out. Yikes! I also wanted to check on the museum to see if there was any damage so I took a shower and drove downtown. Everything was great. It looked as if it just rained. It was open and there were visitors. Wow! They didn't even know there was a storm. Called Jennie from the office to see how everything was there and she told me about her cousin's house. I HUGE tree fell right on top of the middle of their house. Went over there to the house for moral support and played with Brooks to entertain him while the adults were trying to organize the removal of the tree. Then I went to the church cause I heard there was some damage but the guys were gone so I just took pictures of the trees uprooted like dandelions. Then I went over to Chris' house to check on him but I got no answer from Angie's phone who was also over there. Didn't want to bother them. They probably were napping (as was the case, as I found out later). That sounded good to me so I went home and took a nap. I was tuckered. Finally got a hold of my mom and dad. They said they knew nothing about it and was glad I called before they saw it on TV. Mom actually used the words "freaked out." I got more news later that the Coca-Cola bottling plant (which is literally 2 streets down from where I live) was totally ruined. Trucks over turned and the roof gone.

No comments: