Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

Well here it is. I can officially say I've been on both sides of the coin so to speak. What I mean is that I've hated this day and I've loved this day. I remember getting this funny balloon in the shape of a heart with arms and legs and it would hover over the ground looking like it was standing up. That was from my dad. Cute!! I also loved Val's Day because in elementary school we made boxes to put Valentines in. Gosh I loved that!!! (I'm a dork!) In the past I've hated this day because I had not been the recipient of valentines from a boyfriend because I didn't have one, and of course that upset me and actually made me bitter! Ugh!! I eventually moved past that and became neutral. It was just another day. You realize you can and should show someone you love them any day of the year, not just Valentine's Day? Anyhoo... Honestly, this year I wasn't sure what to expect. I have learned that expectations can be good and bad. You certainly should have expectations of your friends and loved ones but not overly exaggerated to the point that if you don't get what you want, you'd be disappointed every single time. I would say I have done this on more than one occasion with disastrous results. Then I was miserable and felt sorry for myself. So all that to say is that I'm learning how to balance what I need to expect and what I want to expect. I hope this all makes sense. Hey! It does to me! So with that being said I will tell you about my Valentine. He's handsome and sweet and he did the wonderfullest thing for me! I drove up last Friday to OKC and met Jason at the high school because he was announcing the varsity basketball games. I got there just before the girls halftime. During halftime Jason and I met up the first thing out of his mouth wasn't Hi!, How was your trip? or even a hug!! He gave me his keys and said I needed to bring him a piece of paper from the front of his car. Ok. And of course I would do it, but I'm thinking to myself, why can't he do it? Well I'm walking out to his car and even before I get to the door I can see the beautiful bouquet of roses (see pictures) in the front seat and I drop his keys because I was so surprised. I really was floored. By the time I get back to the stands...I have a huge grin on my face and so does he. He did a good job and I love him for it. I, on the other hand, gave him a Jeff Gordon chocolate car. It's his favorite driver in NASCAR and they keep making cute stuff with his logo on it. I also sent him a card in the mail and I hope it gets there today!!

So the moral of the story is that everyday is special and if you have friends, family and special loved ones, tell them how you feel and not just on Valentine's Day.

Do you know the history behind Valentine's Day? Follow the link to the History Channel. Also check out these interesting facts on the economics of today.




No comments: