Monday, January 19, 2009

Valentine's Day revisited

Hmmmm....Valentine's Day seems like a cuss word lately. Several people I know have explained why they hate this holiday. Granted it is VERY commercialized, so is every other holiday, but so many people hate this particular one and not the others. I wonder why. Is it because they have no one to love? Or no one loves them? Most of the people that I have heard complaining have significant others, so what's the deal? Should we not celebrate with the ones we love? My most memorable Valentine's day gift was from my father. I remember coming home and there was a big heart balloon standing in the floor. Yeah, standing. It was a heart person. It had legs and feet and arms too. It was soo cute.

Maybe we get so upset is that we have to spend money. Really? Do you? Does it cost money to spend time with the one you love? I have made it clear to my husband that flowers that cost $50 or more is cool but not necessary. I'd be happy with a single rose. I told him that we didn't have to go out to eat, in fact, I'd rather stay in so I can cook him a nice meal. Do I like Valentine's Day? Sure. Do I hope I get something? Sure I do.

What my brain has been pondering is maybe people crave this day is because they don't get any other day. Yes, they may be married or have a girl/boyfriend...but do they feel special outside Valentine's Day? A lot of people say we shouldn't have a holiday to say you love someone and I totally agree but does anybody on a regular basis show they love someone not on Valentine's Day? Do you ask how their day is? Do you do the dishes without being prompted? or fix dinner when not asked? Do you kiss them for no reason? Do you sit by them on the couch when you watch TV? Do you suggest things to do with them? Do you tell them they are handsome/beautiful? It's easy for me to ask if they do those things for you, but do you do those things for them as well?

Just some thoughts while vegging in the tub.

I should be writing about the other stuff that's happening but don't feel like it...maybe later.

Peace,
Jess

No comments: