Monday, March 26, 2007

Who am I? Who are you?

What is in a man that convicts him to try and change the world? Perhaps someone rooted in his faith. A faith that teaches humanity; the morals and ethics that rightly defines good and evil. And then gives him the courage to act on his faith. Oh, that I had the courage to step forward and say something let alone do something.

I think God gives us what He knows we can handle, but the confidence in ourselves is so lacking we do nothing.

Mom and I went to see the movie Amazing Grace. It was wonderful. I thought it was about the guy who wrote the song but it was actually about William Wilberforce of Britain who fought to pass a bill to abolish the slave trade. He struggled through many years of defeat, a war and sickness but finally it happened. How did he keep on going? I don't know. Through the grace of God, no doubt. I recommend the movie to everyone. It was really inspiring.

Another awesome thing yesterday. I heard something at church yesterday that really opened my eyes. We sometimes feel we need to prove ourselves to others. This is an indication that we lack an identity or confidence in who we are/who I am. I can think of numerous times when I go out of my way to "prove" to someone what I am capable of either physically or mentally. I don't do it overtly but subtly, when I think they may be watching. Wow, what a way to live. It can be pretty tiresome.

What do I need to prove? I'm not sure. Nothing! I should know who I am! I DO know who I am! I really do know who I am but sometimes I forget and get insecure... It happens. I think it happens to all of us at one time or another.

You may laugh but write out your mission statement! It describes who you are and your purpose in life. Only a couple of sentences so you can remember it. Museums are very good at this. At least some anyways. Mission statements help you focus.

Random life quote from my director at the museum:
"Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Don't forget to smile today. :D


Tulips at the Dallas Arboretum
3/24/07

No comments: